This Valentine’s Day I decided to surprise my husband with a healthy 21 Day Fix approved breakfast. We have been eating a lot of dippy eggs (Eggs Over Easy, for those not from Lancaster, PA) with sprouted toast. After doing some research online, I came across recipes for egg in a basket (a take on the British dish of Toad in a Hole, sausage and egg in a piece of toast or pastry). I though I would adapt the recipes I found with butter to fit my clean eating plan. I added avocado and hot sauce to make up for the lack of butter and think that I may have found a new weekend tradition! A heart shape cookie cutter added a little romantic touch to kick off a weekend of relaxation.
Below is the recipe to make two servings (Each serving is one piece of toast, an egg and avocado), I added two pieces of turkey bacon and half of a grapefruit to make the meal 1 Yellow, 1 Purple, 1 Red and 1 Blue for my 21 Day Fix fans!
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Slices Whole Grain Sprouted Bread (or whole grain toast)
- 1/2 Avocado
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Hot Sauce (Mexican or Tabasco)
- Use a small cookie cutter to create a hole in the center of the bread.
- Lightly toast bread and cut out piece of bread.
- Spray pan lightly with olive oil and heat pan over medium heat and add toasted piece of bread in pan, crack egg into center of cut out toast.
- Cover pan and cook until egg yolk is set
- Flip toast and cook for an additional 30 seconds or until yolk is cooked to desired firmness.
- Mash avocado and spread on toast.
- Season with salt and pepper and hot sauce.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!